Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Night Stands

Happy October everyone!  I don't know about you, but I'm finding it so hard to believe that it's already October.  Time just flies by when you are busy!

I have been looking on Craigslist for a while searching for some night stands for my bedroom.  I have one right now, that matches our bedroom set, but in case you didn't get the memo, matching sets aren't really "in" right now!  I've been lovin' the look of mixing stained furniture with a few painted pieces.  You see, I have a matching bedroom set in a Cherry Stain.  It's a beautiful set, solid maple, but I'm ready for a change, and definitely ready to mixed things up a bit.  Aside from that, I have always wanted TWO matching night stands.  Well, the later part of August, I happened upon an adorable set of night stands on Craigslist.  They looked like antiques.  They were a cherry stain, with detailing down the front, and the curved tops were exactly what I was looking for, as they would compliment my D.I.Y. upholstered headboard.  They were in rough shape, cosmetically speaking!  But, since I want a few painted accents in my bedroom, I thought they would be perfect to paint, and paint covers up so many flaws!  Anyhow, oh how I can deviate, I contacted the seller and purchased both night stands for $50.....SCORE!!  Here's what they look like




Yes, they are in need of some T.L.C., and perhaps a lot of wood putty and sanding, but look at the potential!  Look at those dovetailed drawers.  These night stands are solid pieces of furniture, with great construction.  So I have to salvage them! (Notice the black shelves in the background....that's another project my hubby is finishing up for me...will blog about later)
This past weekend, I applied a lot of wood putty in all the areas that really needed it.  At this point, I have puttied twice, and sanded in between coats.  I may need one more coat of putty, but I will have to wait and see!  I'm thinking I will paint these with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.  I have never used this product, but have read so many wonderful things about this paint.  The great thing about Chalk Paint is you don't have to sand the clear coat finish or prime it first.  You simply paint it once, wait for it to dry, and add a wax.  I'll let you know how I make out with it.  It's pretty expensive, at least from what I have read, but it saves you so much time and effort.  There's only one shoppe in Maine that sells it, and I will be headed South next week, and hope to pick up the paint then.  I'm thinking I really like Paris Grey.

 Envision these nightstands flanking my bed, against a dark bluish/gray wall paint.  I'm thinking they will look AMAZING!!!!  Stay tuned for the finished product!!

No comments:

Post a Comment