Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall Nesting

Boy, it's been awhile!  With summer winding down, trying to squeeze in every last bit of summer fun, gearing up for the start of school for my two oldest, beginning nursery school for my youngest, and having had surgery, the past couple of months have been rather busy.  I feel like everyone seems to have acclimated to their new routines.  I'm feeling much better post-surgery, and am overly excited to start blogging....AGAIN!

Happy Fall!  It is just gorgeous here in New England.  The leaves on the trees are bright and vibrant in color. The days are warm still, yet the nights are brisk.  It has been hard to let go of summer, but the beauty that encompasses fall makes the transition a bit easier.  It's ironic really because I've actually been spending a lot of time lately, indoors!  YEP, indoors!  The reason being.....I have had this intense, unexplainable desire to clean and re-organize, or in some instances, just plain organize my home!  I started in my bedroom.  I have been in the process of making this room over for a little over a year now.  Yes, I know a year, right, but it really does take me a while to find exactly what I'm envisioning for a space that I'm recreating.  Well, I have had a two-drawer file cabinet in my bedroom for many years.  Despite the fact that the file cabinet looks like wood, it really has always looked like it didn't belong, especially in my bedroom.


 So, I decided I would get rid of the file cabinet and replace it with a portable file box that I could place in my closet, as I have some great shelving in there, and it wouldn't be SEEN!  So I began my search for the perfect file box on-line.  I wanted a file box that was truly a file box.  You can buy a lot of great fabric boxes, but I really wanted a file box that had hanging hardware for hanging file folders.  I also didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a file box!!

I found some really attractive ones at seejanework.com.

See Jane Work Basic File Box-ALL NEW
See Jane Work















However, this file box is actually on the smaller side. I would need three of them to accommodate all the files I have, and they are $22/a piece.  I really didn't want to spend that much, so I ended up finding these at Target for a whopping $13/each.
They measured 12.2' H x 9.06" W x 13.58" D, and I only needed two of them.

They are actually bigger than the ones at See Jane Work, as their file box only measured 7.25" W x 10.5" H x 13.5" L.  Unfortunately, Target only offered their file box in one color, black, but I decided nonetheless to go with it. 

The next step was to go through all the files in my current 2-drawer file cabinet, and throw what we no longer needed.  Oh my goodness, my hubby and I save way too much stuff!  He and I both weeded out
all the papers we no longer needed.  I was able to fit all of our files from our 2-drawer unit into two storage boxes.  Here's an inside view of one of the file boxes 

I loved the file boxes so much, I actually went back to Target to pick up a storage box for my printer paper.  It was $5.99 and matched the Room Essentials File Boxes!  

I then bought four photo/shoe boxes in the color white, from A.C. Moore.  They had them for 1.50/each this past weekend.  I placed my wedding shoes in one box, cards that I've saved from my hubby and others in another box, and the other two or empty, but I'm sure it won't take me long to find some little treasures to store in them.  Here's what they all looked like in my closet  



I'm pretty happy with the end result.  Everything is organized and in it's rightful place, not to mention it just looks neat and clean, and I did it all for around $40!  If you are wondering why I did the shoe boxes in white, well that's because they didn't have black!

No comments:

Post a Comment